The VNU-University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USSH) at Viet Nam National University in Ha Noi and the University of South Australia (UniSA) are pleased to co-host a 2018 international conference on English as a medium of instruction (EMI) in University Social Sciences in Viet Nam: Policies and Pedagogies.
- Conference venue: VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities, 336 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan, Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
- Time: 14 – 15/12/2018 (Friday and Saturday)
The conference organising group invites EMI content lecturers, English language lecturers, students in EMI programs, policy makers, researchers and others to share their perspectives on university level EMI in Viet Nam and to critically examine policy and pedagogical practices currently enacted in the classroom context. The proposals will address one or more themes under the following strands.
Strand 1: EMI national and institutional policies in action
- National and institutional guidelines in practice: availability, strengths, weaknesses, and implementation challenges
- Institutional support for EMI students and lecturers (content and language)
- Equal student access to EMI programs
Strand 2: EMI curriculum and classroom strategies in action
- EMI curricular, pedagogical and assessment practices
- Use of technologies in EMI classrooms
- Using Vietnamese within EMI programs
- Bilingual/multilingual assessment
- Learning strategies used by students in EMI classrooms
Proposals are up to 200 words and will be peer reviewed. All proposals are to be submitted using the conference template. The deadline for the submission is 20/10/2018. Accepted proposals will be notified by 30/10/2018.
The conference organising group will publish all presentations in a conference proceedings by Viet Nam National University Press. If you are interested in publishing, please indicate your interest in the template and send in your full paper by 30/11/2018. Selected quality papers will be published in an edited book with a renowned international publisher by 2020.
Key note speakers
- Assoc Prof Victoria Whitington (UniSA): EMI and Internationalisation of HE in Australia
- Dr David Caldwell (UniSA): Genre pedagogy: Relevance for EMI
- Assoc Prof Kathleen Heugh (UniSA): EMI in Higher Education: international research, overcoming deficit, and building high level bi-/trilingual capabilities
- Dr Vu Thanh Nha (VNU-ULIS, Hanoi): Training EMI teachers: Theoretical and implementational issues
Abstract submission link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uZ1l5ZlMTwRME7lqAEBgXpzfTUO01vBelU0goJB2dvw/prefill
Registration to attend the conference: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezJOK7KkZ5NS8dyYOAFAl4NUTophod8fY2wP3kyJLBCwQ-CA/viewform
- Email: email@example.com